Thursday, March 12, 2009

Cricket, Hitting and Cricket

This past weekend was quite busy. Saturday was my first cricket practice of the year at an indoor facility in Brooklyn. It was not the greatest area and so I was convinced that I would never see my new car again. The practice went well - very happy with how I batted and my bowling was OK as well. It really felt good to get back out there and get another hit.

After this, I raced home through gridlock traffic to go on a night out. It was originally going to be a poker evening but morphed into a night at Hooters watching a UFC fight. Much beer was consumed and a lot of spicy meat products were devoured. Put it this way, I think the McDonalds I had for lunch was a more nutritious meal! The fighting was quite entertaining. I cannot imagine anyone bothering watching boxing anymore, this stuff was violent, up tempo and the best fighter always won...the loser was typically unconscious on the ground, so it was kind of easy to tell.

Much of the rest of the weekend involved watching cricket. Another nice win in the 2nd test went a long way towards erasing the memories of the home series. Of the new guys, you have to love Siddle (Craig McDermott and Merv Hughes' love child); Phil Hughes has a huge future (unfortunately he can pretty much only go down from here) and North seems quite promising as well. I wish McDonald could bat, he would be an ideal 5th bowler, but you have to figure that he cannot play in his current role for too much longer.

The only way this got better was for the Poms to lose the series against the West Indies. Classic stuff!

No comments: