Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Cricket/Rugby

The 2nd test ended in a draw. We were not far off winning the game and had the close MacGill stumping decision gone our way, we likely would have done it. However, we had some umpiring luck earlier in the game so I am not complaining. Glad to see they are listening to me and now using Stuart Clark with the new ball. I never understood why this was not done from day 1. You have a guy, who is a very similar bowler to McGrath and I seem to remember McGrath being pretty decent with the new ball on occasion...and you throw the ball to an erratic rookie because he is a lefty. Lee and Clark will put batsmen under a lot of pressure from ball 1 and I think we will see better results due to this. The spinning position is now very much a weakness of our team but it is hard to see anyone doing much worse than MacGill / Hogg did of late. We will never find another Warne but there has to be a young spinner in the country who can send down a few decent overs for use. Casson will get his crack in the 3rd test it seems.

I watched the Super 14 final. A good match but in the end, Canterbury were too strong for us. I am excited at the prospect of the Wallabies having a different look and feel this year. New coach, a number of new, young players and a few years to get things right after the last World Cup disaster. I think we can push the All Blacks in the Tri Nations, but it is hard to see them not winning the series. I will be interested to see where we stand up against NZ and SA. Based on the Super 14, I think we have the players to test both of them. Vickermann's loss is huge and without him, our tight 5, already with some questions, will be severely tested. On the bright side, Mumm was a huge find this season and I hope they let him have a crack for the Wallabies. Looking forward to the next couple of months!!!

No comments: