Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Latest Events

For the past few days I have spent a lot of time starving and watching cricket. Mindy and I both resolved to try to lose some weight early this year. Hopefully we can lose a little, get to where we want to be and then maintain it with some sensible eating over time.

Calorie restriction is pretty much the only way to lose weight. Exercising more might assist, but unless you reduce what you eat, I don't think you will ever get there. If you have any doubts, check out how many calories are in a can of coke / chocolate bar etc...then go to a gym and jog on a treadmill until you have burnt the same number of calories. It is a lot easier to skip the junk! The only saving grace out of all of this is that I can eat more than Mindy as being male and bigger I will naturally burn more calories than her every day! Not sure that she is quite so happy with this fact as I am.

My target is about 1500 calories per day. When combined with some additional exercise, I think this should see me lose about 2 lbs per week. There will be a weekend at the end of the month where we know things will get off track a bit - Mindy's birthday is Jan 30 and I am leaving for a work "conference" after that for two days where there will be an open bar and plenty of bad food to eat - however, hopefully we can stick with it. So far, so good but to be fair, it has really only been a few days!

The cricket is certainly much better in 2009! This last game was a very important win for us, hopefully giving us some form and confidence to take into our tour of South Africa. Still not convinced about McDonald's batting but he looked OK with the ball. Bollinger impressed as did Johnson and Siddle, so our bowling is not too bad I think. One thing is for sure...we will have to work for our wins much more so than in the past.

It is tough to get back into work after my time off but things are going well. Colgate is a great place to be in general, and especially right now, so hopefully I can make it last for a while yet.

No comments: