Thursday, June 28, 2007

I'm Rick James, bitch!

I finally got out today. I had planned to venture out two days ago but ended up just waiting for our hotel room to be ready. Yesterday the girls and I went on a small trip to the very German store Toys-R-Us! It was nice for the girls to play a little.

Today we took a big trip into the Altstadt. It is the center of town and where all of the shops are located. I was taking the girls to get some lunch and Naomi said "Let's get on the bus mommy". I thought, why not. I jumped on without buying a ticket - I thought I could buy one once I was on the tram. The driver spoke no English and just let me get off without charging. I guess it was not worth 2 Euro to try to communicate with me.

It was exciting that we actually made it. They have all kinds of cool shops down narrow cobblestone streets. What else would you expect in Europe, I guess. The girls talked me into an outfit and shoes for both of them. I was just looking for a jacket for myself. We also ended up with umbrellas because it started pouring down while we were shopping. We began to find our way back to the hotel and that's when the day got a little frustrating.

I had to buy a ticket this time instead of acting like a hobo (David's words). I swear I was looking for my stop but when I realized that "wagon haute" was not a stop but was displayed at EVERY stop, I was past where I needed to get off. For some stupid reason I thought I would just ride it out until the tram turned around. I decided to ask the teenage boys behind me if they spoke English, thinking they could help me figure out how far I was out of my way. They said they did not speak English but then proceeded to quote The Chappelle Show. I heard them saying "I'm Rick James, bitch!" among other quotes, all in perfect English. They were obviously making fun of me and I was just trying not to cry. Eventually the tram stopped and after purchasing another ticket, I made it back to the hotel.

Tonight we ate dinner at a Chinese restaurant, amusingly named "Ho's Garden". Excellent food but the highlight of the night for David was listening to the Chinese waiter speaking fluent German.

1 comment:

David & Mindy said...

In general, the Germans have been helpful...I think in this case it was simply a maturity issue with the teenagers involved. When you try to use German, I often find that they know you are foreign and will simply start to speak English to you...kind of taking mercy on us I guess!