Sunday, June 24, 2007

Sprechen Sie Englisch?

So we finally decided to create a blog. Initially this will be a vacation type journal and if we stay motivated, perhaps will continue beyond this to keep in touch with family and friends abroad.

We arrived in Germany today. We are here for a month...3 weeks with me (David) working and then a week of travelling around. After an uneventful flight we had to lug two kids, two car seats, a stroller, 4 bags and 3 carry on bags through two terminals, a train, an ESCALATOR (the lift was out), about 7 other lifts (no kidding) all of which were about the size of a public toilet cubicle looking for our rental car. Travelling with kids is GREAT.

So we found our car and figured we could relax a little. 10 minutes later we were still sitting there trying to start the friggin thing. I guess compared to my Flintstones mobile, the BMW we got was a little high tech. Every combination of pressing the button that said "Push to start" was tried...many times. Eventually we summoned help and found that you have to have a foot on the brake in order for the engine to start. Mindy was convinced it was the lack of a seatbelt that was the issue.

So we drive to Heidelberg listening to 80's pop on the radio and trying to figure out how to work the navagation system. Fortunately, Mindy managed to get it going and we got to the hotel in one piece.

Up till now, everyone we had encountered spoke perfect English. My plan of approaching everyone and asking them "Sprechen Sie Englisch" and hoping for a "Yes" was successful. This was until we left the hotel and tried to find a restaurant. Now everyone in Heidelberg seemed to be flying past us on bicycles and those we found to be walking spoke absolutely no English. We were even asked by a complete stranger for directions (I think) and she kept on talking even though we clearly had no idea what the hell she was talking about. The only way I figured I could shut her up was to throw back my favourite "Sprechen Sie Englisch". At this point she left us alone.

With the help of 20 year old high school German and a phrase book, we managed to successfully order drinks, dinner, coffee and dessert...so I suppose we did OK. Tomorrow it will be Mindy and the kids with the phrase book taking on the city as I will be at work.

More later as we recover from jet lag and actually do something.

4 comments:

Tobi said...

so excited you are blogging...looking forward to hearing about Mindy's first day out with the girls!

Tamara Elizabeth Mount said...

thanks so much for creating this so we can know what you guys are up to!

what an adventure!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I miss you! I hope you're having lots of fun getting around today, Mindy. Should be a good story when I wake up tomorrow.
I'm so excited that you're doing this, I thought I was going to go into withdrawal! Can I keep you posted on my stuff, too? I hope the rest of you don't mind hearing about how Liam just taped up his privates, 'for fun', just have to share!

Donough said...

Beemer.....Autobon.....Hmmmmmm.....