Wednesday, June 27, 2007

It's the little differences...

I visited Europe before, back in 1989. My perspective back then was that of someone with the rich life experience of having lived for 17 years in one house in Newcastle! I am certainly noticing more this time around, strangely enough.

Everything is a little smaller over here – cars, parking spaces and roads (all of these are related I suppose). The serving sizes in the restaurants are a lot smaller than in the USA as well. Elevators are also tiny and very narrow making it more difficult to get past people if your floor is reached first.

Most of the cars are obviously European models, but I have seen some Fords. This really confused me – why would you buy a Ford when the alternative was a decently priced European car? I have since found out that Fords over here are made in Germany and you can get a full featured car for a decent price. In general, the style of cars reminds me a lot of what we saw in South Africa last year, without the vans packed full of day-workers.

Restaurants seem to rarely take credit cards, again a HUGE change from the USA where you almost never need cash. Waitresses will come to your table with the bill wearing a change belt and you can settle everything right there.

Don’t expect free water at a restaurant. Beer is cheaper than coke at times. No free refills (this I was used to from Australia).

Europeans are very environmentally conscious. Smaller cars, a lot of public transport and energy efficient light bulbs in most places. At the SAP offices there is no air conditioning, something that I initially thought was strange…but it is actually quite nice working in the fresh air with the windows open. Very few rooms have their lights on as well. Also, there is no disposable serving ware at all. Coffee cups and all of your lunch plates, utensils etc are provided and washed for you. Reusable cloth towel dispensers instead of paper towels are also provided.

European coffee is great! The SAP office and also the Executive Lounge at the hotel for Mindy have Espresso / Coffee machines which give you a perfect cup in a few seconds. Great stuff!

European fashion is also quite distinctive. I have never been what you would call particularly stylish in any crowd with my collection of concert t-shirts to wear but over here I think I stick out in the crowd even more than usual.

One final thing…I also have learned a lot about being a foreigner. I am sure you have all said something to a foreign person and had them just nod, smile and not say anything back. I now know EXACTLY how that feels. I have found myself doing that on several occasions. I can understand enough German to get by but cannot think quickly enough to reply immediately in a passing conversation. I have found myself knowing that someone has said something nice/polite to me, couldn’t instantly work out what they were saying or how to respond…so just ended up nodding and smiling back, kind of feeling like an idiot but not wanting to look impolite.

No comments: