Monday, September 15, 2008

So Near and Yet...

This weekend became a weekend of near misses. Saturday morning involved watching the Australia v NZ rugby. We played well in patches but made too many silly mistakes to deserve the victory. However, losing by such a close margin considering the soft tries we allowed is a little frustrating.

Saturday was also the first playoff game for one of my cricket teams, because of my bad back right now, it was decided that I would sit out the Saturday game and be ready to play on Sunday. The catch was that we had to win on Saturday to get the chance to play on Sunday. Apparently, we were chasing 160ish and were 5/140ish when a message got sent out to our captain who was batting at the time. We were ahead of the other team on run rate and the light was quite bad, so we should ask the umpires about the light. If they agreed it was bad, we would win by run rate. So, the light was bad and they called the game...but when they did the calculation, we were 1 run short, so the other team got the victory. Our captain was shattered after the match. I was annoyed that my ill-timed back injury kept me from playing. All in all, a disappointing way to end the season.

So, Sunday was not a family day - we spent it at the house and with friends in the afternoon - so it was a nice, relaxing day. Kind of quickly coming to the end of summer, you feel that the warm weekends are coming quickly to an end. Of course, I will then be able to burn all of the wood I have been stockpiling...so I must admit to looking forward to it in a weird way.

No comments: