Thursday, January 31, 2008

Wild Birthday Celebrations

Mindy had the choice of where to go for dinner however, being limited by the kids, she chose a local Mexican chain "Baja Fresh". I did make it clear that she could go wherever she wanted and I think that by saying "Happy Birthday" about 100 times over the course of the night I am now forgiven for not wishing her this earlier in the day.

After dinner, get the kids to bed and hit the TV for a crazy evening of viewing. I watched a poker show while she spoke to her father. Then we watched a documentary about sumo wrestlers - really interesting stuff. Clearly the wrestlers suffer health problems later in life due to their weight but I was surprised to learn that the life expectancy of a sumo wrestler is 20 years shorter than the average Japanese citizen. This was followed by an episode of a series about climbing Mt Everest. After reading a book on this recently and watching this series, I cannot understand people wanting to go through this. Even today, where you can get sherpas to lug your gear and supplies for you and also have experienced guides to advise you and guide you to the top, it is still amazingly dangerous and not a pleasant experience. Considering that the payoff is only a couple of minutes at the summit, I just don't understand why people flock to Asia to undertake this. Having said this, I am glad people do as watching and reading about their efforts is certainly very entertaining!

No comments: